Locktopus is a famous jailbreak app which enables you to password protect your iPhone apps. The best thing about this app is that you can implement password on the applications you want, so that nobody can use them.
iPhone and iPod Touches running iOS 4.x and 3.x. are the devices which can be protected with Locktopus. Moreover, it is also compatible with multitasking bar on 4.x. Remember that this app is just for jailbroken iDevices. The question is how to password protect through this application. Let’s take a look at it.
How to Password Protect an Application with Locktopus
Step 1 – Jailbreak iDevice
First off, your iDevice must be jailbroken and it can be done through JailbreakMe 2.0. Here is how to do it.
Step 2 – Install Locktopus
Locktopus can be purchased for $2 from Cydia Store. Here is the process to download Locktopus;
- Open Cydia and go to search tab
- Search for Locktopus, then purchase and install it.
- Close the Cydia.
Step 3 – Enable Protection
Locktopus is different from LockDown as it doesn’t ask you to start a new application for password protection. Here is the method.
- Hit and hold an app icon until it begins twisting (Wiggle Mode)
- To lock, you need to hit the “lock” badge on the icon.
- After launching the app, it will ask password. (The default pass for Locktopus is: password. The Locktopus password can be altered by going to Settings app)
Forgot your Locktopus password?
If accidentally you forget Locktopus password, you need to reinstall the extension with Cydia. If somehow, Cydia is locked, go to SBSettings to disable the extension. Another method is manual; rename or remove it through SSH. After that Cydia can be opened and reinstalled.
Those people who want free tool, they should try LockDown.